Before and After School Program
Small Faces provides before and after school services for elementary school students at nearby schools.
There are two after school classrooms:
- The Adventure Room for Kindergarten and 1st graders
- The Orca Room for 2nd – 5th graders
Families can drop off children as early as 7:00 am for the morning session. Staff will wait with children for bus pickup (for North Beach, Whittier and Salmon Bay) or drop off service from Small Faces vans (for Loyal Heights). The after school program begins when children arrive from school (again via bus or Small Faces van service) and lasts until 6:00 pm.
Small Faces is open many of the days that Seattle Public Schools are closed (over 20 days annually, including several week long breaks). During those days, Small Faces offers full day programs in our after school room. These full day programs are included in the tuition and provided at no extra cost to parents. Likewise, Small Faces provides longer after school programs for Seattle School’s early dismissal days.
Both programs offer an extension of our purposeful play curriculum, focusing on:
- Empowering children to unpack their personality and interests through a variety of projects, activities, games and centers
- Bringing unique materials, games and tools into the classroom
- Mentorship and cooperative play that leads to the development of social and emotional skills
- Exploring a wide range of interests, including inventing, video production, dance, music, natural science, cooking, storytelling, foreign language and the arts
- Creating a rich environment arranged in a free-moving array of ever-changing spaces, including computers, audio and video recording, music, dramatic play and costuming, an expansive library of books and magazines for all reading levels, a rotating collection of board games and puzzles, and building stations that combines familiar materials with natural-world objects
- Collaborative work and play in our own gardens: growing flowers, fruits, vegetables and examining the micro cosmos of creatures that make the garden their home
- Enjoying the outdoors at the park or on our playground, digging in the sand, participating in large group games, rolling down grassy hills, and testing our physicality on the climbers