Small Faces has six preschool classrooms:
- Tree Frogs and Rainforest have children from ages 2.5 to 3
- Mountain Room and Under the Sea are our 4 year-old classrooms
- Kangaroo Room is a two year program for children 2.5 through 5 that meets daily from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- The Discovery program is our pre-kindergarten for 5 year olds who miss the cut off for kindergarten
Our purposeful play curriculum is the centerpiece of each classroom:
- Teachers create rich learning environments full of art, objects, activities and tools designed to ignite the imagination of children
- Teachers observe children’s interests, their talents and their challenges and design the curriculum each year to meet the needs of the children
- Teachers join children on adventures of exploration
- Children are allowed to construct their own knowledge through experimentation
- Children form a classroom community and hone their social emotional skills in relationship with other children through: creating classroom rules, negotiating through conflict, persisting through challenging tasks, and learning to work as a team.
- Teachers build literacy rich classrooms with reading and writing opportunities that are embedded in children’s play
- Children take frequent field trips out into the community to gain real world experience of big topics and to explore the larger world of their city
- Children spend hours each day engaging in outside play on our large playground designed with input from parents, teachers and children to include a diverse set of experiences that are guided by imagination and encourage children to challenge themselves.
Families can drop off children as early as 7:00 am for the morning session. We ask that all children arrive at the center no later than 9:00 am and stay until at least 12:00pm. After lunch children have naptime for the younger children and restful activity time for 4 and 5 year-olds who have transitioned out of napping. The afternoon is dedicated to free play and exploration. The school day lasts until 6:00 pm.